Educational publishers need to manage millions of pieces of content. The reality, though, is that many existing content management systems (CMS) simply can’t meet the needs of 21st-century education by providing smart content.
If you’re a publisher and are looking to update your CMS, but want one built with modern features, keep reading. In this blog post, we will detail features that all educational publishers should look for in their next smart content management system.
1. Smart search and content reuse
Imagine that you’ve been tasked with creating a new History book about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. You’ve been asked to write more about his backstory before his most famous I Have a Dream speech. However, the sheer fame of that speech alone will likely dominate a large amount of the content that’s available in your existing library.
That’s why the ability to search for content quickly and efficiently is one of the most vital features every CMS should have. A smart content management system should make it easy for you to find content that’s relevant, not just what's popular.
- Smart search and content reuse should be an ingrained part of your next content management system. Smart search has more filters than traditional search functions and allows you to things like omit specific information or look for certain photos. Regarding Martin Luther King, you could input a search for everything about the man’s life, but tell the system to exclude anything that mentions the famous speech. Smart search’s benefit is giving you more relevant and targeted content.
2. SMARTER WORKFLOW FEATURES
Another major problem with some existing content management systems is that they are not optimized for the real issues of a given workflow. Whether it’s writer’s block or a limitation when it comes to the research, a new CMS should support the content creation process.
There are two features which alleviates workflow processes.
- The first is content creation, which helps give authors a starting point for creating new work. Content creation will take finished pieces of work and automatically create summaries of the article and extract possible test questions from the text. As a benefit, content creation not only speeds up the content production part of the author’s workflow, but it also gives teachers a complete package of relevant test questions that they can use in the classrooms.
- Another feature that’s useful to optimize workflows is content recommendation. The benefit of content recommendation is that it helps authors and writers break through writer’s block as well as understand which words they should or shouldn’t use. It scans a text for terminology that’s out of place or inconsistent, then makes helpful word choice suggestions so the authors can improve the final written piece.
In summary, these are the features that publishers should look for as they prepare to purchase their next content management system:
- Smart search and content reuse overcome significant challenges in the publishing production process
- Content creation and recommendation speed up workflows and accelerate the process of producing and publishing a piece.
In order to achieve these smart content features, you must have a CMS that automates metadata-tagging to make content smart.
360AI can help you do that. 360AI is a smart artificial intelligence solution that helps publishers overcome these hurdles and modernize your content management system. By using 360AI’s APIs, you’ll get all of these benefits without needing to overhaul your existing content management system completely.
Interested in learning more about 360AI?
Click here to book a consultation to learn more about the solution.